Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release Replaces Manfrotto 486R…

Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release Replaces Manfrotto 486RC2
     by Deny S W
This head is definitely lighter than my 488rc2, but with the QR plate folded over, it is only about .25" shorter. So, from a packing point of view, it is nothing to write home about.

The new friction knob is OK. I suspect that if I was keeping this head, I'd come to like it.

There is a "bearing" between the body & the bottom plate of the head, but it was VERY stiff. So stiff that I ended up moving the ball in the socket in lieu of rotating the whole head.

The show stopper for me is the panning, which is non-existent. Yes, I do know there is no panning knob, but from the reviews & Amazon's description ("the 360° pan movements") I was hoping to be able to carefully pan. But that wasn't happening with the Amazon shipped me.

In the event you don't care to make panoramas, this is a respectable head. I'd be inclined, however, to look at the 494rc2 in lieu. It is a bit smaller, & significantly smaller than my 488rc2.

No comments:

Post a Comment