Monday, June 20, 2011

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 3-Section Pro Carbon Fiber Tripod without Head
       by  Anton W
For under $300 this is a tremendous tripod in carbon fiber.
Tight, smooth, & stable.

The middle column also switches to 90' horizontal quickly, but cannot lock at different angles (vertical or horizontal only). It does not come with a over bag or leg protectors, which for carbon fiber is more important, so you may need to factor that in to the cost when comparing it is value. I am 6'1" tall, & this is JUST adequately high, but the height of the Manfrotto 055 series is probably better for people 6' to 6'6". The comparable 055 CF tripod was $150 more though, which for me wasn't worth 60% more cost for 6" more height. I put the Manfrotto 322RC2 head on it, which is versatile, & can actually be mounted vertically like a joystick for the additional height, so I am happy with the tripod overall.

I like the feel & weight of the carbon fiber & it supposedly dampens vibration better, but if cost is key, you would probably do as well with aluminum. I read that the three section tripods can have a narrow bottom section, which is more fragile, less stable, & more pricey. I don't be concerned much about its minumum folded up size, so I stayed away from the three section, & went for the stability & cost of the three section.

A middle column that could lock at more angles, leg protectors, over bag, 6" more height are all things that could bring this up from three stars, but would also increase the cost. I did finish up purchasing the leg protectors separately for carrying it around.

I'd only ever used cheapo aluminum tripods before, so this is a immense step up in quality & stability.
I am tremendous happy with this tripod & would highly recommend it. In the event you are over 6' though, I would compare it against a Manfrotto 055XPROB before deciding.

Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment