Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ravelli AVT Video Camera Tripod with Fluid Drag Head

Ravelli AVT Video Camera Tripod with Fluid Drag Head
       by Toni R
I must say, not knowing what to anticipate when I ordered this, I am impressed by this product. I was one times taking a look at a Manfrotto 501 tripod package, & saw their commercial for this in the used section claiming to be as nice at that at 1/4 the cost. Needless to say I was one times skeptical, but was willing to risk 89 dollars to see if their claims were true. The nice: The sticks are awesome & are worth 89 bucks alone. In fact, you'd must pay times as much to get sticks approaching these in quality. They are built like a tank & give rock solid stability. I put my 9 pound camera rig (FX-1,35mm adapter, rails) & felt confident running away from it. The speedy release plate is well made (& you receive a spare!), & you get fully adjustable pan/tilt handles. You also receive a pleasant bag with a carrying strap. The bad: The head is not as nice as the Manfrotto 501, which I have used extensively. The liquid motion in the tilt feels smooth & strong with no stiction, but the panning is not as nice. To get it to cease & and start smoothly I had to loosen it over I'd like. Also, the drag controls are not as fine as that on the 501. & while the description says the sticks have a non-rollback middle column this is not true, at least mine didn't. You need to screw it back tight to keep it from rolling down after raising it. Overall though I am impressed with the build quality, & for 89 bucks you'd be hard-pressed to discover a better tripod.

No comments:

Post a Comment